Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Farewell, Maeve Binchy

Maeve Binchy, a newspaperwoman turned best-selling author whose sprawling novels of Ireland portrayed women confronting all manner of adversity, died last week in Dublin.  Her fiction was best known for her humorous take on small-town life in Ireland, her descriptive characters, her interest in human nature and her often clever surprise endings.  Her novels, which were translated into 37 languages, sold more than 40 million copies worldwide, and her death was mourned as the passing of Ireland's best-loved and most recognizable writer.  She was 72. 

To celebrate her life, we're bringing you some of her most lovely quotes. 

“I also believe very, very strongly that everybody is the hero/heroine of his/her own life. I try to make my characters kind of ordinary, somebody that anybody could be. Because we've all had loves, perhaps love and loss, people can relate to my characters”

“I don't have ugly ducklings turning into swans in my stories. I have ugly ducklings turning into confident ducks.”

"You can't lay down laws for what people think and hope"

"We're nothing if we're not loved. When you meet somebody who is more important to you than yourself, that has to be the most important thing in life, really. And I think we are all striving for it in different ways."

No comments: