- No one knows the actual birthday of Shakespeare! April 23rd has been generally used - the same day as St. George's Day, the Patron Saint of England.
- We do not really know what Shakespeare looked like. No portraits were painted of Shakespeare whilst he was still alive.
- The majority of the plays of William Shakespeare were only published seven years after his death in a collection of works called the First Folio.
- Many eminent Authors, Actors and Politicians do not believe that William Shakespeare wrote his plays including Mark Twain leading to the great Authorship debate.
- William Shakespeare's three children, Judith, Susanna and Hamnet were all illiterate.
- Many of William Shakespeare life facts are unknown - these years are referred to as the 'Lost Years'.
- William Shakespeare and his company built TWO Globe Theatres!
- William Shakespeare and the Globe Actors were implicated in the Essex Rebellion of 1601.
- William Arden, a relative of Shakespeare's mother Mary Arden, was arrested for plotting against Queen Elizabeth 1, imprisoned in the Tower of London and executed.
- In the Last Will and testament of William Shakespeare he left his wife his "second best bed".
Monday, April 23, 2012
Happy Birthday, Mr. Shakespeare!
William Shakespeare, English poet, dramatist, and actor, often called the English national poet, is widely considered the greatest dramatist of all time. Today we celebrate his birth, life, and work by bringing you ten facts you probably didn't know about William.