Monday, February 13, 2012

25th Anniversary of Dirty Dancing





Dirty Dancing came out in 1987, making 2012 the 25th anniversary of this classic hit. In the 1980s, you couldn't get much cooler than Patrick Swayze, especially with his smoking dance moves. And every teenager identified with Jennifer Grey's rebellion against her family in her classic coming of age story.

This mega-hit was the first film to sell more than a million copies on home video, and the Dirty Dancing soundtrack generated two multi-platinum albums and multiple singles, including "(I've Had) The Time of My Life", which won both the Golden Globe and Academy Award for Best Original Song, and a Grammy Award for best duet.

On August 8, 2011 a "Dirty Dancing" remake was announced with Kenny Ortega, who choreographed the original film, directing. We want to know what you think -- will you go see the remake or do you wish they'd leave the beloved classic alone?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was 14 and my friend and I were supposed to be at the mall but instead we went to see Dirty Dancing and it was quite the eye opener for me. I'm not much of a movie goer, but this one i'd have to see just because the original changed me so much.

Sue Tabashnik said...

I do not think the remake will capture the magic that the one-and-only original classic is beloved for. I cannot see anyone else in the roles played by Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze. So I definitely will not be going.
I wish the original could be brought back into theaters and perhaps some money raised for cancer research from sale of the tickets.