Thursday, June 02, 2011

Funny Face

I was browsing through the shelves for some lighthearted audiobook entertainment, when I came across the new release Bossypants by Tina Fey. Since I was anticipating a lengthy road trip, I figured a few laughs would make those miles fly by. And this book is hee-larious, I mean it is laugh-out-loud funny. However, Ms. Fey also conveys an intelligence, candor, and thoughtfulness that transcend the typical comedienne fare.



Certainly Bosspants contains the self-effacing and witty biography of a typical memoir, including tales of personal rejection and shamelessness: What 19-year-old Virginia boy doesn’t want a wide-hipped, sarcastic Greek girl with short hair that’s permed on top? she asks. What’s that you say? None of them want that? You are correct. So I spent four years attempting to charm the uninterested. But interjected between these stories are sharp insights on such diverse topics gender, politics, parenthood, and work. Ms. Fey, or Tina (as I’ve already cultivated a close personal relationship with her – at least in my mind) is at her best when she discusses what it means to be a woman today and the difficult juggling act that it entails.


Run, run, my friends and listen to this audiobook. Or read it, I’m totally flexible. I promise you won’t be disappointed.

No comments: